We are back for our new terms of African Drumming Courses, starting Wednesday 26th September. We have beginner and intermediate levels and all instruments are provided.
New Term Dates: September 26th, October 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th.
African Drumming Level 1 (Beginner)
No experience necessary.. This workshop will introduce participants to the key patterns of West African rhythms and why they are played. We will explore the different sounds of the djembe drum and how to play together as a group. Mainly we will have a lot of fun 🙂
Time – 6.45 – 8pm Cost – 75 euro.
Max 12 participants, minimum 8
African Drumming Level 2 (Intermediate/Advanced)
Attending African drumming workshops or playing regularly for six months or more. This workshop will focus, on traditional rhythms, techniques, solos and arrangements. Participants can play djembe and/or dunun. We will also explain some common methods of notating rythms and students can record all parts
Max 12 participants, minimum 8.
About the teacher
Paul McElhatton has been studying West African drumming for 20 years, including nearly 2 years of full time study in Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia and Senegal, West Africa.
He has studied with with exceptional Master drummers including Drissa Kone (Mali), Tomas Camara (Ballet Djoliba, Guinea), Mamady Keita (Guinea), Babara Bangoura (Guinea).
He is the founder of Afro-Eire and West African groups Fakoli and Manden Express, and is a regular contributor on the Irish African music scene, including several performances with Ivorian djembe vituoso Sidiki Dembele.
Latest Blog Posts
- The benefits of group drumming for Team BuildingNovember 30, 2020 - 1:45 pm
- Fun Virtual Team Building EventsMay 12, 2020 - 1:47 pm
- African Drumming – November WorkshopsOctober 28, 2018 - 10:51 am
- Djembe Technique – Posture, sounds and exercises to improve your djembe playingSeptember 13, 2018 - 1:45 pm
- African Drumming Courses – Beginner/Intermediate – 26 Sept 2018August 28, 2018 - 12:57 pm